Home / PC Gaming / Hardware / Store / Discord

Virtualize freenas for gaming rig?

I built a freenas machine(specs below) several months back and was looking into building a gaming rig but on the way cheap. I was searching through ebay for various used parts and it dawned on me maybe i could just run freenas as virtual machine. Any recommendations with the specs in my freenas machine buying a great GPU to install for gaming and run freenas in a VM or at least just dual boot between the OS’s as needed. Or is it to much hassle and just continue to search the depths of ebay.

MB:
ASRock E3C226D2I

CPU:
Intel Xeon E3-1220V3 Haswell 3.1GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1150 80W Server Processor BX80646E31220V3

Memory:
Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3L 1600 (PC3L 12800) Server Memory Model CT2KIT102472BD160B

Thanks for any advice and pointers

No, just don’t do it. FreeNAS is not meant to be virtualized itself.

If you are on the cheap side, see if you can get a used i5 2600k desktop on the cheap side, and just add in a decent graphics card of your choice. Sure it’s not the best thing ever, but if you are just gaming it will do the job for the most part.

If you are doing more than gaming, reply and let me know. I am glad to help you, but please don’t virtualize FreeNAS.