Home / PC Gaming / Hardware / Store / Discord

USB 3.1 (Gen 2) Confusion

Hello all, joining from thetek forums wasn’t all that active but did post every now and then, just now got around to creating a new account.

I have some questions about USB 3.1 (Gen 2), currently I am purdy sure I know what it is in terms of specs, but does the 10gbps cary over the whole chipset? Meaning if you have 2 or 3 USB 3.1 (Gen 2) ports, does each 1 support 10gbps or is it shared.?

Also I am not seeing a huge amount of Hubs (10gbps) the ones I do see seem to be geared for macbooks and are a stupid looking dongles with 4ports max and have a small 1ft max cord built into them, and the reviews seem to be stating they aren’t really 10gbps.

A little back story a few weels ago I got injured at work and have a partially amputated right ring finger, I use my mouse with my left hand luckily but I use the arrow keys with my right and little did I know how much it actully impairs my ability to game!

So I ended up selling my Gaming desktop as I am not able to game as much as I used to and I wanted a decent laptop, I ended up getting a HP Envy that is a 2in1 and is damn fast, I added a SSD and it has 3 USB (1 of which is USBC) ports that are supposedly USB 3.1 Gen2, and I have all sorts of devices I would like to plug in (like over 7).

Any input would be nice! Thanks

Dont quote me on that, but I don’t think the USB ports have a shared pool of bandwidth. Thats why there are always only a limited number of USB slots from the chipset. I think it is similar to SATA ports for example.

Bump, I might have failed to ask why there isn’t more “desktop” USB 3.0 Gen 2 Hubs? These seem to be getting added more and more to Laptops and Even Desktops, and it feels like we are going backwards on ports for computers. I remember having dells and Sonys that had 6 USB ports!

Wireless, Shmilerless!! Hard drives and USB audio imterfaces are always going to need wires for serious people/workloads.