Home / PC Gaming / Hardware / Store / Discord

Upgrading router( not much knowledge on wifi)

Our internet provider is time warner cable (spectrum) . This is the item that we received when we joined TW Arris DG1670A Touchstone Data Gateway Bulk Packed… how can help in suggesting for us to upgrading for our internet wifi,
and if u have any suggestions on either purchasing our own router? 2000 sq. ft…and as far as devices roughly they are 7 phones, 2 tablets 2 ps4 , 2 xbox 360 , 2 laptops. Can u give some suggests on the tinckering and settings

Thank you

If you have an old desktop PC you can check out Pf Sense which is an enterprise grade software that makes a computer into a router guide located here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0JFfpG4BWI&t=135s

You can configure the 2 routers you have in a way that allows them to be the same wireless network that can increase your coverage.

If you have the PC and the willingness, go with the PF Sense build. If you want an all-in-one solution that’s a bit more ‘plug-n-play’ Ubiquiti seems to get good reviews for their systems. Are any of the consoles/laptops going to be wired? Or are they all going to be on wifi?

On a separate note, you don’t need to make a second thread; this forum doesn’t have a ton of traffic (yet), so it takes some time for responses. Also, I posted my response in your other thread last night ~2am where I live and went to bed after that. And you still haven’t mentioned a budget, as that will be a big factor in what will be the ‘best’ solution for you.

Oh ok and thank you for your responses. I really want to stay under 200$ budget wise. But I will look into the router you mentioned.

sorry but how do i configure the 2 routers 1

in to 1

is this good for wifi NETGEAR R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wireless Gigabit Smart Home Router

That’s a good one. I know a few who have it and they all love it. I believe you can flash it with ddwrt firmware pretty easily as well. with ddwrt you can fine tune a TON of settings to get the most out of your wifi.

Nice Work Hard Anywhere profile picture.