Home / PC Gaming / Hardware / Store / Discord

The nuraphone - "Headphones that automatically learn and adapt to your unique hearing"

The nuraphone - “Headphones that automatically learn and adapt to your unique hearing”

Here is the “How it works” https://us.nuraphone.com/pages/how-it-works

The nuraphone plays a range of tones into the ear, and then measures a very faint sound that your ear generates in response to these tones called the Otoacoustic Emission (OAE). This tiny signal originates in the cochlea and vibrates the ear drum, turning it into a speaker and playing sound back out of your ear. Yes our ears make sound! This sound is about 10,000 times smaller than the sound that went in.

Encoded in the returning sound wave is information about how well you heard the sound that went in. The nuraphone uses an extremely sensitive microphone to detect this returning sound wave, and a self learning engine built into the nuraphone to create your profile. No buttons or knobs. It all happens automatically and in about 60 seconds. It is a little bit magic.

Once the nuraphone has created your hearing profile it sonically moulds your music so that it matches your hearing system and delivers all the detail of the music you love. Once personalised you can listen to your favorite music in stunning detail from your favorite player.

It’s a really interesting concept, I’d love to try out a set of these because my ears a very sensitive but very damaged due to exposure to some seriously loud stuff.

What I don’t like is that the ear cups look too rubbery and they don’t sell any alternate versions.

After waiting for what seemed like forever I finally got my Nuraphone. By that time I had a lot of high-end headphones. The two I like best are my T1 2nd gen and Sony MDR z7.

I really wanted to love the headphones. The entire idea hit me as really good. Sadly it just did not work for me. Perhaps it is just that I expected so much more. For that reason, I have set them aside and will pick them up to try again in a few weeks. So far, big disappointment.

I did have trouble getting them to calibrate. I had to force the phones to the side of my head before the software would work. I think that after using them a while that fitting problem will go away. I’ll try to re-calibrate and see if that helps.

On the plus side is service. I was missing a cable. You need their cable to charge it. I was ordering one for 20 bucks. They stopped the order and asked why I needed it. When I told them they sent it for free.

I had the Nura set to charge and decided to give them another try. I linked it to my phone, as that was where I had the Nura software installed. The calibration still did not like the fit but it showed it was much closer and I did not have to push them into my ears.

I played Blackmore’s, To the Moon and Back, something I discovered a few weeks ago. This time it the Nura’s were a lot better.

I need to run the cans on my better music players but I don’t expect to see much difference, being Bluetooth. Confort is better than I thought it would be. I’ll do a swap with some of my good headphones to see how close they are to my high-end cans. Right now I can say I no longer hate the Nura. I’ll be trying them long term to see if I can get to love them. They will be my work around the house BT headphones for a while.

Not being an expert and having 68-year-old ears I cannot give you exact points on high and lows. The soundstage is not great. Detail is good. Enjoyable with a fun sound but that could just be how much I love Blackmore. I’ll need to run it on different music get more. I love detail so that is my main focus. Overall a balanced sound with nothing lost or blaring.

At this time I would put them as I would most headphones. Give them a try. At this point, I would not return them if I had the option. A month ago I would have. So be prepared to work with them a bit.

After using them for an hour there is no discomfort on the ears. However, the top of my head is starting to feel the strap. I don’t have a lot of hair so I might have to add some padding there. Moving the strap helped but the fit is so picky that I hate to do that. I did not hear a big change when I moved it but it will not calibrate, if not exact. Using them more might loosen up the padding and fix that. Time will tell. I don’t plan on calibrating them again for awhile. I’ll write back in a month or so.