Home / PC Gaming / Hardware / Store / Discord

The Censorship is Real

This is becoming increasingly worrying for me. I know there was a big scare a while back, and then there was a lull, and recently it seems like I’m hearing about it more and more. Mostly I noticed it really ramped up around the election period.

These big corporations control what is shown to us on the internet, and in doing so, they control the opinions and the mindset of the people who don’t bother to look through multiple sources to determine whether or not something is real.

I urge everyone to evaluate your news sources and make sure you read from multiple sources if you don’t already. I know Tek Syndicate got a little tired of all the conspiracy theory big brother stuff, so I’m going to leave it at that.

I find it ironic that he’s upset that a private corporation can choose which video to demonetize. They can also choose which video to delete if they so desire. They’re a private entity and it’s their prerogative. I said that it’s ironic because out of two big political ideologies that exist in the US, he’s favoring the one that seeks to do away with regulations and set corporations free to do whatever they wish. Well, here’s one such corporation doing whatever it wishes. Let’s not forget that Trump’s pick for SCOTUS voted in support of “corporations are people”, and his FCC chairman is against net neutrality. If you want your voice to be heard, try not to be a tool in hands of your true enemies first.

Well, back in the day all we had to voice our opinions was the “Letter To The Editor” with the local newspaper. And even that was very limited, for it had to fit in with the word count of the Editorial page. And if the editor didn’t like it, then it never saw the light of day.

Today there are sites that give away free tools to teach you how to code your own web-site, and one that has the guide lines, the W3C. I once had my own website when there was only Windows 95, and I created stationary for Outlook Express. Thought that I was going to get donations for it. Learned how to hand code the pages myself, and the only connection was dial-up.

The point it this, with the right coding any decent search engine can find it and if his content is actually worth while, they will pay donations for it. Especially if he is good with his shtick. Other wise, like me, just a legend in my own mind. I know there is more to it than that, as standards have changed, and will continue to do so. But if you are on your own, and you have to power to appeal to people, you’ll be a hit and get funding, whether by donations or someone sponsoring you.

I figure that once I am ready to go out there again, I’ll build another box, and use this one for my own server, that is if I am able to learn all that I can to keep it safe from hacking. I’ll start with not using Windows. I like TrueOS, it’s origins is FreeBSD. Out of the box, it is secure. If anyone is able to place holes in that security, most likely be me knowing enough Unix to my own worst enemy. LOL Have a good day.

I don’t get it. Is youtube supposed to be a public space now? Last time I checked, Youtube was a private property.

Getting your stuff demonetized (not even removed) from a private hosting site is NOT what coherent people refer to when they talk about censorship in the context of free speech.

Similarly, in Ye Olde paper journals, getting a letter to the editor rejected explicitly for undue and unjust reasons would not be a violation of free speech. Neither would it be today.
A violation of free speech would be if the state, city or other level of government banned a specific journal, a specific journalist, or a general message for undue and unjust reasons, thereby making it impossible for the intended message to reach any audience.

In earlier times, there were lots of different journals (not to be confused with newspapers) covering a variety of topics, and people would write articles and letters to be published in these journals. Most of them were essays and opinion pieces, but they were an important part of the democratic process before the information age came around. Suppressing dissent could have been as easy as shutting down someone’s printing press. But there were tons of different journals and pamphlets going around and being read by tons of different people, making it somewhat harder to censor, as you had to know which journals or pamphlets would publish and spread the unwanted content. Most of the time, when one journal closed, others popped up in its stead. And people who did not find an outlet for their message could, if they could afford the printing press and materials, start their own journal and print their own pamphlets.

Free speech is a concept that applies to the public space. The whole point of private spaces is that their ownership is not universal, so that not everyone can make use of that space as they see fit. Public spaces are owned universally by everyone involved. Hence why censorship is problematic in public spaces, it is robbing a person of their property.

In public spaces, people have a right to express themselves. But people don’t have a right to be listened to, and even less so in the context of someone else’s private space.

Checking this dudes video post history. He’s a political edge lord trying to lash at “libitards.”
Supporting trump, making fun of celebrities who are against trump and ignore that trump’s focus has been on moving power away from the general user to the corportation…

And how he’s complaining about being demonitized on a private platform? He’s been defunded by a private corporation, and is supporting the presendent that is making legal moves to remove net neutrality and increasing cost to the consumer.

Wow.

Way to show up some amazing mental gymnastics.