Home / PC Gaming / Hardware / Store / Discord

Post Great Comics or Graphic Novels

Title says it all, what comic or graphic novel have you read and find amazing and share worthy.

I’ll start

Artesia

Hard to find in print for reasonable prices for the whole set, there are three full volumes as of now, the art and story is amazing and I think really under appreciated. I have all three and am trying to get the loose unfinished fourth volume comics. Would make for a great game I think.

Artesia is an epic fantasy comic book series authored and illustrated by American artist Mark Smylie. Artesia is also the name of the heroine of the cycle. Smylie has described her as a “Pagan Joan of Arc”, to use a popular reference, while noting that the closest historical model is the Irish Queen Medb. Themes in the series include feudal politics, intrigue, and power struggles, complex mythology and world history, and strong female characters.

There is also a pen and paper RPG set in the Artesia universe

ORC STAIN

Really great art style and pretty good lore concepts.

Orc Stain is set in a fantasy world plagued by endless war between hordes of orcs. An orcish war chief, The Orctzar, has unified an unusually large army in the south and is pushing north. The protagonist, One-Eye, is an unusually intelligent northern orc gifted with the ability to locate the weak point in any object and use it to crack it open. When the Orctzar receives a prophecy that One-Eye will be the downfall of his empire, he begins to seek him out.

WONTON SOUP: COLLECTION

The art just like Orc Stain is, while not in color, crazy good. Also there is sex bear.

James Stokoe’s crazy space trucker cooking epic returns bigger and badder than ever before! Join Johnny Boyo and Deacon as they cruise the intergalactic superhighways in search of legendary ingredients and amazing adventure.

The Metabarons

The first appearance of a Metabaron (chronologically the last of the Metabarons) was May 1981 in the Incal comic book series. This was followed by a series of prequels that concerned this character’s origin, presented as the narration of the android Tonto to the android Lothar, of his masters’ achievements. The series takes place over the course of several generations, and chronicles the life of each of the five Metabarons. The stories depict a space opera reminiscent of Greek tragedy, and heavily influenced by Frank Herbert’s Dune novels.

Metal. If there is one word that can sum up the Metabarons, Metal is that word.

Every Metabaron is mutilated by his father in his youth so that his endurance to pain is tested, and receives a powerful mechanical body part as a replacement for the destroyed limb. In each generation, the son and heir must eventually face his father in a battle to the death. These battles have taken many forms, from hand-to-hand combat to space duels, and the succession is only achieved once the son succeeds in killing his father.

This multigenerational Epic is beautifully realized in full color throughout. If you like Heavy metal, if you like crazy scifi, this is for you. The detail in every panel is astounding and each page could be hung on a wall.

TRANSMETROPOLITAN

Transmetropolitan chronicles the battles of Spider Jerusalem, infamous renegade gonzo journalist of the future, an homage to gonzo journalism founder Hunter S. Thompson. Spider Jerusalem dedicates himself to fighting the corruption and abuse of power of two successive United States presidents; he and his “filthy assistants” strive to keep their world from turning more dystopian than it already is while dealing with the struggles of fame and power, brought about due to the popularity of Spider via his articles.

Funny how this vision of the future is already gone as the day of the investigative journalist has been dead for about 2 years now. While I don’t agree with some of the views pushed by this comic, and I find Spider to be immature and a brat, he is an eccentric with a passion on what he sees as the truth that is endearing. Have only read volume 1 “back on the street” but would recommend it wholeheartedly.

BUCKAROO BANZAI: RETURN OF THE SCREW

Along with his Hong Kong Cavaliers, Banzai must battle more than one surprise arch enemy, each with their own motives, but all acting in concert to bring Banzai to his knees! All this sandwiched between a couple of great rock and roll guitar solos, a few surgical procedures, a crazy gun battle on land and air, Buck’s one chance for the ultimate revenge, his soul in turmoil, all the chicks digging him, engineering synchronicity, pretty toilets, a human pickle, and a giant sombrero!

From great movie to great comic, Buckaroo is a crazy do it all hero that Tony Stark wishes he could be.

A renaissance man, Bucakaroo Banzai is a top neurosurgeon, particle physicist, race car driver, rock star, adventure hero, and probably the last hope of the human race.

He and his Hong Kong Cavaliers spread their music, charitable good works, and scientific breakthroughs, while stomping out evil throughout the world.

My favorite comic ever might be Calvin and hobbes. Best web comics are on newgrounds though.