Home / PC Gaming / Hardware / Store / Discord

PC Build Reccomendations

I was looking into building a PC that is good for gaming, and if possible some 3D modeling / video editing for work.

The price range is $500, and the maximum is $650.

I need lots of USB ports, and I prefer it to be somewhat future-proof and easily up gradable.

I am new to building PC’s from scratch, so any help is highly appreciated.

I already have a really nice monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Thank you!

I would wait like a few weeks - Ryzen is almost here! If you need something ASAP - let us know and we’ll part something for ya

I would be needing this ASAP. Thanks!

Something like this can probably do you good.

Total: $588.32

You can play around with stuff trying to find deals at different retailers but I think this should cover the basics for sure.

CPU: Intel Core i3-7100
Motherboard: ASUS H110M-E/M.2 LGA1151
Ram: Corsair LPX 8GB DRAM 2666MHz 8GB(4GBx2)
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Mini ITX OC 3GB
Hard Drive: Seagate 1TB FireCuda Gaming SSHD
Power Supply: EVGA 600 B1
Case: Zalman ATX Mid Tower PC Case Z3

The build I was doing was more or less the same. I think you’ll probably run into a bottleneck down the road with the i3 - but the nice thing about running on LGA1151 is you’ll be able to upgrade. It should hold you over, though!

I had this set up, any feedback?

Ram

HDD

PSU

(continued in next post

With insurance it comes to about $570

Case

CPU

Motherboard

Graphics Card

If you can, throw in a boot drive SSD and keep games and data on the 1TB drive.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6bMvvV (623 USD AFTER REBATES)

If you can handle using a case only 1 USB 3.0 on the FPIO, this will get you an i5-6500 and a Z170 motherboard with I believe 6 USB 3.0 ports USB type C 3.1 and 2x USB A 3.1 on the motherboard’s I/O

You really don’t need to overclock, and the i5-6500K costs more just to have the option to overclock.

Note: I do a lot of 3D modeling and some video editing work myself, you’re better off having the i5-6500 instead of that i3. and it won’t cost that much more.

I say that because 3D modeling, rendering, and video editing benefit from better multicore performance instead of single thread performance in most of the popular applications used. ( I use blender, it loves having 12 threads to use for rendering)
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6500-vs-Intel-Core-i3-6100/3513vs3511

Any $120 range AMD CPU’s that have enough threads to satiate blender?

Nothing new, not until Ryzen.

You can go with an FX-8350 (140 on ebay after a quick look on google) if AMD is a must, but my reconmendation still stands with that i5 skylake processor and that z170 board, because it plenty of ports on the back (can be expanded with powered USB hubs) . A few options to cut costs include finding used parts, mainly ram, GPUs, and CPUs.

If you have any spare computers, use their storage drives to cut costs, even if its a 2.5" laptop hard drive. reusing power supplies is an iffy one, just because you don’t know how many hours they have left on them and the last thing you need is a PSU surging your new rig and turning it into toasted silicon. You can also reuse cases or skip a case altogether and use a cardboard box.

8320e is 89 bucks at Microcenter. I went with a cheap Asrock 970m pro 3 but if a cheap Gigabyte board with the 970 chipset was available I would have went with that.
Even with a cheap MB you can do a mild BCLK OC even with the stock cooler. With a better 8 phase power MB you can OC it allot more but you’ll need an aftermarket cooler.

Most rx 480’s are under 200.
PSU and case whatever is on sale in the 500 to 600 watt range, just make sure the card will fit in the case and has the usb ports you want.

Forget email rebates unless you like pain.
One reason I like microcenter is you have 15 days to bring it back and the people were really nice when I had a faulty MB and out of anger I brought everything back.
For multicore performance the 8350 or 8370 might be better due to far better multicore performance when running stock and the 8370 has a really nice wraith cooler.
Hope this helps