So, it’s pretty clear in the first few songs that this album is going to follow Mastodons later albums in the more progressive/ psychedelic style rather than the harder, sludgier style we see in earlier albums. I’m not surprised by this but am a bit disappointed. I would really like to see them return to their roots and do some heavier material but I digress.
- Sultans Curse - good song I like the opening riff and vocals, very trippy/ psychedelic 4/5
- Show Yourself - very pop-like in sound, catchy, not a bad song, but not a good one, different 3/5
- Precious Stones - slow, kinda boring, good riffs though 2/5
- Steambreather - slow, kinda boring, sounds very pop like again 2/5
- Roots Remain - opening was great, then the clean singing and slower pace kinda bummed me out 2/5
- Word to the Wise - slow as well, kinda psychedelic but not in the way I like from Mastodon 2/5
- Ancient Kingdom - slow, mostly clean singing, psychedelic good riffs and solos but mostly boring 2/5
- Clandestiny - more slow pace, cleaning singing, but still boring 2/5
- Andromeda - I like the riffs and solos, vocals different at the end, not sure what to make of this song 2/5
- Scorpion Breath - I like this one, reminds me more of older Mastodon 4/5
- Jaguar God - slowly gains speed and weight throughout the song but still slower and more psychedelic 3/5
Total would give album 2/5, not a fan of it really, this is the slower more psychedelic side of Mastodon. Much disappoint.