Home / PC Gaming / Hardware / Store / Discord

Looking to Buy New PSU

I’ve got a new 1700x cpu coming Friday. I am looking my Power Supply. I have a galax gtx1070 which requires 2 8 pin connectors. I want to get a modular PSU but I’m not really sure what one I should get. I’m seeing PSUs that have the 24 pin and 8 pin attached and only have 4 extra connectors and I don’t understand how that would be enough.

I’m looking for recommendations to power supplies as well as maybe some understanding to how a modular psu operates.

Depends on the wattage of the PSU and form factor. A smaller or low powered machine doesn’t need a ton of SATA or VGA connections so it’s probably 24-pin, 8-pin, 2 VGA 8-pins, 2 SATA. Higher wattage PSU’s could have 4 or more SATA connectors, and several VGA connectors as well.

As far as PSU’s go, I have a Corsair RM1000, and it’s been fine for me. EVGA’s SuperNOVA line gets good reviews as well. Seasonic is another that is well regarded. Basically anything from a reputable brand, with a good warranty, some level of 80 Plus certification, and fits in your budget and covers your wattage needs should work fine. I’m not exactly sure what the power requirements for a 1700x and a 1070 would be, but I’d guess anything 500 watts or more will be plenty.

Go for evga 650,750 or 850 gold. Rock solid.

100% agree. This: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Supernova-220-G2-0750-XR-Modular-Supply/dp/B00IKDETOW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488484518&sr=8-1&keywords=evga+supernova+g2 I highly recommend.