Home / PC Gaming / Hardware / Store / Discord

Linux Experience

Hi All,
Right, I would like to start this off by saying I know some people love certain Linux distributions and at the same time - they hate other distributions… we get it… marmite… love or hate it.
What my topic is, what version do you run and why?
You hear a lot of “discussions” about Linux, how they are the same but different etc. That’s not what this is about, this is about having a discussion regarding OS’s and GUIs. I would like to use this as an informative experience for people to discuss and open others eyes to options.
Even display a screenshot or two of your desktop to show others.
I, myself, am a 2nd line Service Desk Analyst (was system administrator for a while) which I need windows for work (so can’t get rid of it just yet) but having been running my own gaming “rig” for over a year and a half now, I am thinking of installing a second hard drive and going back to Linux. It’s been “quite” a few years since I played with it but by the looks and sounds of it, there has been a few changes out there.
Am intrigued to see what and why people have what they have out there. Thanks.

I personally run a copy of Win10 Pro for games and os-specific productivity software, and a copy of Manjaro linux for *nix-specific applications and web development

I was thinking about that too, hence my second ssd and running both. Windows for work and Linux for play. Haha :joy:

What’s the GUI you are using?

Ubuntu and Ubuntu gnome is what I install on old laptops of mine. It’s quite easy to understand and also there’s a ton of information online for ubuntu so you’re not fucked when you need help. I’m not that good with linux.

I think windows 10 is really nice when you get the crap out of it. It looks good, runs smooth and is compatible with everything. I bought 8.0 for 40$CAD when it launched it canada and I upgraded for free. Since then I run win 10 pro without any issue.

I ran Manjaro for a while, but I use too many Windows specific programs at the moment to make dualbooting worthwhile. OSX would be a close second for me, but OSX is missing Inventor :frowning:

Ubuntu on my spare laptop, and I have a live-USB with Linux Mint (I quite like Linux Mint)

I run Arch on my laptop (w/ KDE Plasma). Mostly run Windows on my desktop (need it for work as I work in a .NET shop + for gaming), but I keep a Manjaro dual boot around when I need to do some Rails development or shit like that.

I was thinking of running mint for a while, since I run Windows 10 at home and work laptop. Something different but not too different.

Any recommendations for the GUI?

All the computers in my house run linux (I don’t do much gaming, so almost everything I do is done in Linux, and what I can’t do is run in a windows VM on my server).

Being a sysadmin where work uses all Linux, it can really come in handy. Made the switch to full Linux back in Nov. 2015, and haven’t looked back since.

I’m a huge fan of Debian personally, all my servers both at home and at work run Debian. My boxes at home consist of a mix of Ubuntu and Debian, Ubuntu on one laptop of mine which I couldn’t get Debian to work right with graphics drivers.

On my Debian boxes themselves I run the gnome environment, with this flat theme: https://github.com/horst3180/arc-theme

Quick screenshot (borrowed from their github page):

I honestly did surprise myself just how much I can get done on Linux, I’ve gotten my online school program running, I can do video editing, and of course all the stuff I need to do to administer my servers. I do still have a windows dual boot drive in my box, but I haven’t booted off it since my switch roughly 2 years ago (I really should erase it and use it for extra storage sometime)

I’m a huge fan of flat themes. I know some people for some reason despise this look, but personally for any PC I use I need to have a flat theme, haha.

Haha awesome, my work all run off windows (7 and 10) and the occasional Mac. So everything is windows. Which is a shame cause the money the company could save…

Out of people I know, they either run mint, Ubuntu and arch. Each have different reasons reaching from purpose to compatibility and each recommend them. But I think it is great how diverse everyone is for their needs and make things work for them.

The last time I touched Linux was for one of my old support roles as there were a few developer’s who needed that. Was impressed with what Linux could handle depending on what each user needed.

Think I might give debain a go, since I have not tried it yet. But I suppose it really depends on compatibility of the hardware I am going to run it on.

Thank you for your post.

That’s the opposite for me. LInux for Work, Windows for play. But even Windows for play is becomming less and less, since OpenGL 4.5 support is growing, also with Vulkan my Linux Steam Library is actually nearly as large as my Windows Steam Library.

And since Wine has gotten so good, the only reason i still got Windows is Elite Dangerous (and Star Citizen, but i haven’t touched SC in a while and i actually don’t want to, until they get it ported to Vulkan…).
I have got Lightroom and Photoshop running in Wine, some other stuff runs in a Windows 7 VM…if Elite Dangerous would run with wine, i’d probably ditch Windows altogether.

I probably use 8 individual distros at any time. I’ll go down the list.

Netrunner: Possibly my favorite distro, netrunner is Debian based and has an amazing implementation of KDE (which is honestly the main reason I use it). The over all system runs extremely smooth and on any 64 bit system (the 32 bit version died at 14 which saddens me). I use it for both stability but also for a cutting edge workstation. While the kernel and base system are LTS, the rest of the system gets updates constantly. If they can make it work and run stable, they will push the newer package.

Ubuntu Mate: It is what it is. I like mate and this is the best implementation of it. Its just ubuntu with a well set UI. The devs are more interactive with their community and they do a lot of cool shit for people (PPC or Pi versions of the OS). The community is more familiar to the way the Arch community.

Arch: Desktop os most of the time. Why? I need the AUR. I NEED THE AUR. If I have something I need to install I don’t want to pussyfoot around with libs and lib.5.so’s. Its faster for me to build my system, then if I am missing something I can just go to the AUR and implement the packages I need FASTER than I would on any other system. I am going to stick Manjaro into here because I just use manjaro as an arch installer when I am lazy (don’t use the KDE version rn its buggy AF).

Xubuntu: I’m not making a generic ubuntu pool because these have different uses. X goes on my older machines. Pentium 2 and up. I mostly use it to dev stuff.

Slackel: Good for when I need to make something work fast. Has the packages I need all the time and I like slackware (its based on slackware).

SliTaz: this is a light weight distro. Thats it. I have seen it on Pi’s, I have put it on my machines in the past as a main distro, it’s used on fidia CNC machines. Its cool and has a 400mb install size.

OpenSuse: If I am doing network security stuff anywhere, I normally want a suse station in there somewhere. It comes with some networking software that I don’t want to be bothered to install on other distros. It isn’t stopping it from being on a steam machine or anything like that, its just often a work environment for me.

Icaros: Not even linux, its Amiga, but its my go-to use case for low low low end machines that are supported by the system. Its relatively cool. Allows for use of amiga apps, and lots of modern apps are made for it including emulators, office, art, all sorts. Its in vs 2.2.1 but is still relatively early. Admittedly I do some work on it now and then, mostly bug testing but I am starting to play with the code base.

I’m all Mac at work. No choice there. We’re getting the 2016 MacBook Pro’s soon, which is kinda nice because right now I’m using a 2012 and although it’s not huge, it would be nice to have something lighter since I do a lot of walking around with it for work. We talked my boss into going with the non-touchbar option since it’s just gimmicky over-priced BS, and upgrading the internals as much as possible except with a 512GB SSD (more than enough for what we do anyways).

At home on my desktop I mostly use Windows 10 because of games and Adobe programs. I also have an Asus GL702V with Windows 10 for gaming with friends. I’d love to totally switch to Linux. I don’t mind trying to get one or two games to work in Linux, but until Adobe comes to Linux I can’t switch. Between games and productivity software, it’s just too much to screw around with. I need to just be able to install the software and use it.

I have Korora installed on my Lenovo T420, but I don’t use it consistently. It’s mostly just for tinkering with and taking places when I don’t wanna lug around my gaming laptop.

Right now, I am running an old dell e6400 laptop (old work laptop) and it is running Mint cinnamon. Which it is quite surprising how well they both work in harmony but none the less, its more for just googling stuff and creating word documents etc.

I am considering the option of turning my gaming rig into a Linux Rig instead of Windows 10 Rig. It’s a shame though as I was given the license for it for free as a gift from my previous work. The annoying thing about windows is the profile issues that come along. But hey.

With regards to the Linux Distro – I am having issues picking which one. I am running:
AMD fx4300 (default cooler) (Gigabyte motherboard, can’t remember exact model)
8GB RAM DDR3
EVGA GTX 750 SC 4GB
600W PSU
And not sure which distro would be the best for gaming. I do have a few steam games but also some I may try to set up wine with it. Anyone have recommendations for it?

Also, thank you for your response…
@Nexusband
@aremis
@Will
Much appreciated.

I will say though, I am trying out BSD today. That will be something.