Home / PC Gaming / Hardware / Store / Discord

Linux Compound - A List of Free & Open Source Software for working on Linux

As the word compound suggests. The following thread aims to combine the most information and software to help users of Linux find and determine which application to use for the job that they are doing.

Wassup everybody.

When people think of Linux not being able to run Windows applications, they seem to think that Linux is not meant to be used for day to day work. While this is true for some professions. Many professionals can run Linux on their machine to do all or at least part of their work.

Here is a list organized by software category to help you make the switch. Included will also state:

• what Distro’s have a binary for the software listed. (Please note that this feature will take some time to integrate. Soon it will state what Distro has the software available in their repository and what version it is and whether or not that version is old ).

• the official website link, the official website’s download link and the official and unofficial places to get support for the application. Under the direct download link will be a quick view of what package extension is available. ( ex. .deb, .rpm )

• a feature section. ( ex. drag and drop. )

• a what can it do section. Listed here are the abilities of the software.

• a con section. ( ex. requiring too many dependencies. )

• a what can it not do section. Listed here are the things that the software can not complete.

• a versus section. Here will be a comparison of the software listed along with the software that it aims to replace. ( ex. LibreOffice vs. MS Office )

#Contents

LibreOffice

OpenOffice

Calligra Suite

Abiword

FocusWriter

#Full Office Suits

###LibreOffice

Direct website downloads can be found by clicking me

#Available as a:

• .deb ( 64bit && 32bit)
  • .rpm ( 64bit && 32bit)

#LibreOffice includes:
LibreOffice Writer ( MS Word alternative )

LibreOffice Calc ( MS Excel alternative )

LibreOffice Draw ()

LibreOffice Impress ( MS PowerPoint alternative )

#LibreOffice features:

• LibreOffice has ability to support many file extensions that MS Office can
  • LibreOffice Calc has ability to support Excel file extension
  • LibreOffice Impress has ability to support PowerPoint file extension
  • LibreOffice Writer has ability to support any file extension Word can
  • The complete list of fully supported file extensions:
    CSV, DBF, DIF, DOC, DOCX, DOT, FODS, FODT, HTML, ODG, ODP, ODS, ODT, OTP, OTS, OTT, POT, POTM, PPSX, PPT, PPTX, RTF, SLK, STC, STW, SXC, SXI, SXW, TXT, UOP, UOS, XLS, XLSX, XLT, XML
  • Fontwork - similar to WordArt

#What can it do?

LibreOffice can function as a :

• word processor
  • spreadsheet application
  • database program
  • presentation application

#LibreOffice cons:

• The whole suite must be installed.
  • Database files like ACCDB and MDB can not be used with LibreOffice
  • Can not save a MS Office file extension with Macros enabled
  • Can not save MS Office template files
  • The complete list of file extensions that can be opened by LibreOffice, but can not be saved as that file extension after editing:
    123, 602, ABW, BMP, CFR, CGM, CMX, CWK, DOCM, DOTM, DOTX, DUMMY, DXF, EMF, EPS, FB2, GIF, HQX, HWP, JPEG, JPG, KEY, LRF, LWP, MCW, MET, MW, MWD, NX^D, ODM, OTH, PBM, PCD, PCT, PCX, PDB, PDF, PGM, PICT, POTX, PPM, PPTM, PSD, PUB, RAS, SGF, SGV, SVM, SYLK, TGA, UOF, VDX, VSD, VSDM, VSDX, WB2, WK1, WKS, WMF, WN, WPD, WPG, WPS, XLC, XLK, XLM, XLSB, XLSM, XLTM, XLTX, XLW, ZABW, ZIP

What can it not do?

#LibreOffice vs MS Office:

###Both can:

###Only MS Office can:

#WARNING
Clicking on your Distro will bring you to that Distro’s online repository, unless you click Fedora/Mageia. For both, you will be taken to rpmfind.net. From there you can download the software.

#LibreOffice newest version is 5.3.1
####Available on the following Linux Distro:

• Ubuntu
  • Fedora - version 5.3.2.1-1 - This Version Is Current!
  • Arch
    version - 5.3.1 for 64 bit - This Version Is Current!
    version - 5.3.1 for 32 bit - This Version Is Current
  • OpenSuse (A wide range of versions are available, please check before downloading by clicking the “Show other versions” text.)
    version - 5.3.1.2 for Tumbleweed - This Version Is Current!
    version - 5.2.3 for Leap 42 - This Version Is Old!

###OpenOffice

#Available as a:

• .deb ( 64bit && 32bit)
  • .rpm ( 64bit && 32bit)

#OpenOffice includes:
OpenOffice Writer ( MS Word alternative )

OpenOffice Calc ( MS Excel alternative )

OpenOffice Draw ()

OpenOffice Impress ( MS PowerPoint alternative )

#OpenOffice features:

• Ability to open and save MS Office file extensions

#What can it do?

#OpenOffice cons:

What can it not do?

OpenOffice vs MS Office

Both can:

Only MS Office can:

#WARNING
Clicking on your Distro will bring you to that Distro’s online repository, unless you click Fedora/Mageia. For both, you will be taken to rpmfind.net. From there you can download the software.

#OpenOffice newest version is 4.1.3

• Ubuntu
  • Arch
    version - 4.1.3 for 64 bit - This Version Is Current!
    version - 4.1.3 for 32 bit - This Version Is Current!
  • Debian

###Calligra Suite

#Available as a:

• .deb ( 64bit && 32bit)
  • .rpm ( 64bit && 32bit)

#Calligra Suite includes:
Calligra Words ( MS Word alternative )

Calligra Sheets ( MS Excel alternative )

Calligra Author ( iBooks Author alternative )

Calligra Stage ( MS PowerPoint alternative )

#Calligra Suite features:

• Availability in 31 languages
  • A full Office Suite as well as a Graphic Art Suite

What can it do?

#Calligra Suite cons:

• Calligra Suite will install lots dependencies, if you are on Gnome or anything else than KDE. If you want a clean system it is advised to not install Calligra Suite as it will clutter the system - if you are not on KDE.

What can it not do?

Calligra Suite vs MS Office:

Both can:

Only MS Office can:

#WARNING

#Calligra Suite newest version is 3.0.0

• Ubuntu
  • Fedora - version 3.0.0.1-5 - This Version Is Current!
  • Arch
    version - 3.0.0 for 64 bit - This Version Is Current!
    version - 3.0.0 for 32 bit - This Version Is Current!
  • OpenSuse (A wide range of versions are available, please check before downloading by clicking the “Show other versions” text.)
    version 3.0.0 for Tumbleweed - This Version Is Current!
    version 2.9.11 for Leap 42.2 - This Version is Old!
  • Chakra Linux
  • Debian
  • Kubuntu

Word Processors

###AbiWord

#Available as a:

• .tar.gz

#AbiWord features:

• Automatically checks for spelling and grammar mistakes
  • Uncluttered user interface
  • Easy to install plugins
  • Documents can be auto-saved
  • Annotations can be added to documents
  • Ability to collaborate with others thru a plugin that integrates with AbiCollab.net
  • Ability to open and save .docx, .odt, .rtf, .txt, file extensions
  • Ability to export LaTeX

What can it do?

AbiWord is a word processing application that can:

• insert images into a document

• create columns, tabs, tables, footnotes/endnotes, header/footers, a table of contents & page numbers

• create letters using mail merge

• have an image or a color as the background of the document

#AbiWord cons:

What can it not do?

AbiWord vs MS Word

Both can:

• Create basic documents as well as more advanced documents

• Open .doc file extension

• Create a mail merge

• Insert images into a document

• Auto save documents

• Automatically check for spelling and grammatical errors

Only AbiWord can:

Only MS Word can:

#WARNING

#AbiWord newest version is 3.0.2

• Ubuntu
  • Arch
    version - 3.0.2 for [64 bit]((https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?name=abiword) - This Version Is Current!
    version - 3.0.2 for 32 bit - This Version Is Current!
    version - 3.0.2 for Tumbleweed - This Version Is Current!
    version - 3.0.1 for Leap 42.2 - This Version Is Old!

FocusWriter

• FocusWriter - Official help and documentation can be found at:

Available as a:

• .deb
  • .rpm

FocusWriter features:

• TXT, basic RTF, and basic ODT file support

• Timers and alarms

• Daily goals

• Fully customizable themes

• Typewriter sound effects (optional)

• Auto-save (optional)

• Live statistics (optional)

• Spell-checking (optional)

• Multi-document support

• Sessions

• Portable mode (optional)

• Availability in 20 languages

What can it do?

FocusWriter is a word processing application that can:

• create basic documents

• provide a distraction free environment

FocusWriter cons:

What can it not do?

FocusWriter vs MS Word

WARNING

Clicking on your Distro will bring you to that Distro’s online repository, unless you click on Fedora/Mageia. For both, you will be taken to rpmfind.net From there you can download the software.

FocusWriter newest version is 1.6.4

Available on the following Linux Distro:

• Ubuntu

• Fedora - version 1.5.5 - This Version Is Old!

• OpenSuse (A wide range of versions are available, please chech before downloading by clicking the “Show other versions” text.)
    version - 1.6.3 for Tumbleweed - This Version Is Current
    version - 1.5.5 for Leap 42.2 - This Version is Old!

• Mageia - version 1.6.3 - This Version Is Current!

need to bring that list over from L1

Mines gonna have that better organizational swag and detail tho.

Its going to be

#Programming

#CAD

Place holder text

#File Sharing

Place holder text

#Communication

Still waiting on an office suite that’s actually 100% compatible with MS Office. Macros and plugins get fucked over in LibreOffice.

And CAD that’s not straight out of 1997.

Out of all of the FOSS Office Suites I believe that LibreOffice has the best support. But still, it is not complete. If Libre does not support a macro, chances are no one else does.

Tis the sadness of going with FOSS. :cry:

That’s LibreOffice’s biggest downfall: macros being a non-starter in their version of Excel, and Word.

I’ll still be utilising MS Office 2013 / 2016 for various tasks, and switching between Linux for programmes like DarkTable.

I would love to switch to Linux since I find the experience rather pleasurable overall, love the package managers especially, but unfortunately Excel, Inventor, and a couple other daily programs are Windows only. Not even worth it to dual boot because I’m using them so frequently.

Since Calligra is a fork of KOffice will install one hell of dependencies, if you are on Gnome or anything else than KDE. I absolutely do not recommend using it, because it will clutter the system - if you are not on KDE.

Btw: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications Most comprehensive list of linux applications i’ve ever come across.

Yes, it does!

A con list should really be added to each software listed right beneath the features section. I’ll add this in. Thanks for the idea!

Just a quick addition to that: Using MS-Office over Wine isn’t that complicated. It actually works quite well in very recent Wine-Staging versions. You still have to install some dependencies, but it’s a lot less complicated than it was.

FreeCAD is working beautiful for me. However, the only commercial CAD Program i have experience with is CREO Parametric and i find FreeCAD a lot more user friendly. However, you need to safe stuff as DXF File from other programms.

The last time I attempted to utilise Office 2013 / Office 2016 on Wine things went ‘pear-shaped’. If newer versions of Wine have improved this compatibility issue with Office 2013 / 2016 I may reconsider giving Wine a go again.

Excel plugins that function correctly in OpenOffice are still a ‘deal-breaker’; Linux has it’s good points but for many Excel power-users Linux / OpenOffice still has a long way to go to make ease-of-use for office staff a reality.

Should have mentioned, that it was Office 2010 :sweat_smile: I refuse using anything that remotely looks like the modern UI…

Unfortunately, that “goal” may have been kicked in to the far future…Munich did use Linux and Open-Office for about 10 years…however, since Microsoft put their German Headquarters pretty much in the middle of the city, the city officials sniffed the scent of some sweet money and pretty much kicked Linux out, which is about a 25 Million Euro loss (!) for Munich. Some estimates even get up to 70 Million. Limux (that is/was the name of the project) did a lot for macro and excel compatibility, since they had to be compatible with the rest of germany and the EU…

For any argument of office, I am waiting for a pages clone. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO worth it. Otherwise abiword is king in my heart.

If more big corporations adopted Linux than that would be a huge plus as developers would have to keep up.