Home / PC Gaming / Hardware / Store / Discord

It's Beer o'clock! What are you drinking?

Level is a new brewery in Portland… and this gimmicky beer was actually really good.

(Small)

It was just the right amount of hoppy… not bitter at all.

Yes, also I’m jealous of your glassware.

That’s a nifty looking can. I’d probably buy something like that simply because it looks interesting. Although I feel like if a brewery puts too many hops in a saison it’s just going to end up as a weird IPA.

That’s the thing, when I first moved here most of the pnw breweries just were in a hop battle… Making bitter beer. There is a Vermont style IPA revolution going on… so you get more balanced, juicier beers. Nothing comes closer to the best from VT, but the industry is making more balanced stuff now. This Ready Player One beer was really well balanced.

I also have some bourbon. Have to go to a wedding tomorrow. Gonna enjoy what little bit of a weekend I have left tonight :stuck_out_tongue:

20171103_211655

I noticed that as well when I was stationed in Bangor, WA a few years ago. I mean, there were other options of course, but IPA’s were dominating. That’s what got me into beer. Before that I couldn’t stand beer because all I really had was Bud Lite, Coors, etc. I was into Smirnoff and Captain Morgan back then. Now I’m more into stouts, quads, and Jim Beam. I do like an IPA still occasionally.

Except that you mixed it in cola…

But that kicked in the teeth bitterness is one of the best parts of a ipa.

Jokes aside it is nice to have a non bitter IPA so you can taste the full extent of the fruity flowery flavour instead of wondering if your taste buds will come back.

Some people would lose their minds over what I’m about to say, but I honestly think “session” beers are where it’s at right now. Don’t get me wrong, a punch in the mouth IPA has it’s place, but it’s also nice having a beer that I can drink a couple and still be able to use my mouth. Keeping with the IPA theme, the Blue Point Mosaic I had in May was an example where nothing was overwhelming, it was just a decent drink. Or the Rising Tide Pisces in the OP, I probably could have gone right through the entire 4-pack of it and still be good for more. Was it a hop monster? Not in the least. Chock full of malt? Nope, not that either. But was it good? Damn straight it was.

But I’ve digressed a little. Right now I may prefer things I can drink at dinner and not wreck my food, but there’s a time and place for every option out there.

I should make my next batch of homebrew a session IPA. I got some interesting hops recently I’m itching to try out.

Because it’s shitty bourbon. Drinking for effect here!

Tim Horton’s Iced Coffee is what I am drinking and nice that I didn’t have to pay for it either.

DSC00018

New Belgium Fat Tire Belgian White

Not the same as a regular Fat Tire, this is the White. Smells a bit bready and citrusy. Definitely getting that wheat and the orange, with a hint of spice on the tongue. It goes down smooth and finishes fairly dry. Aftertaste isn’t too strong, slight citrus tang I guess? This drink also holds its head like a champ, my glass has rings of foam left on the sides from every sip.

A solid 8 out of 10 from me, I’d get this again for sure. As far as Belgian Whites go I’d place Allagash White just above, but the Fat Tire Belgian White is definitely a good alternative. Noticeably cheaper too, at least in my area.

I think this is the last New Belgium I have in the pit for now.

Been on a bourbon kick, but wanted to try some Japanese Whiskey. This was one of the cheaper ones at $35, which seems like a lot compared to what I normally spend, but most other Japanese stuff was about $65+.

IMG_0068

“It’s well done and an affordable dram coming at around $40 for a 750mL bottle. It’s one you could drink all night long and not get sick of it but it’s very delicate, nothing jumps out at you about its flavor or nose.”

I think that describes it perfectly. It’s very pleasant to drink, very smooth compared to what I’m used to, but there aren’t any specific flavors that really stick out.

Sebago Brewing Frye’s Leap

This would probably be considered Sebago Brewing’s flagship beer. I know where I used to work it was certainly their best seller overall, and probably our best selling craft beer in general. It’s smells of pine, grapefruit, and citrus, and tastes pretty similar too. The bitterness has some bite, but still plenty fine. I do like how the malt is present, but it’s more of a backdrop for the hops than a competitor. It’s a pretty standard IPA I guess.

I’d rate this a 7 out of 10 in the grand scheme of things. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, it is a decent drink, but there’s nothing really “special” about it. Looking at the ingredients online I can see why it’s not too unique, the malts are a hair unusual, but the hops are just the standard three ‘C’ hops.

I fucked up the pour. The foam was basically all the way to the bottom :stuck_out_tongue:. It’s not actually as green as it looks in the picture.

IMG_0110

Peak Organic Brewing Evergreen IPA

As the label alludes to, this is definitely not for those who dislike piney or resinous IPAs, it’s got juniper and spruce after all. That may sound pretty weird, but this drink is doing it right. To put it simply, it smells like pine and it tastes like the color green looks. But it’s also resinous and the malt is just enough to to provide backbone, but not being too prominent. The head is pretty meh, and the color is a nice golden color.

It’s going to get a solid 8 out of 10 from me. I actually really like how it tastes, and it finishes well. A slightly more complex hop character would do well, but I would definitely buy this again.

This is one of the rare ones I got recently. My 2nd I’ve had out of 4. It’s good, but not my favorite. It almost tastes like a barley wine. Actually it pretty much tastes like a barley wine mixed with an IPA. It’s more bitter than a barley wine, but not as bitter as a normal IPA, and it’s really sweet for an IPA, but not as sweet as a barley wine.

The alcohol taste is very noticeable, but the drink is very smooth. It’s smoother than drinking a Coke. As you can see there’s almost no head, and I’m not great at pouring. I like a little bit of head, personally.

This is probably all I’ll drink tonight. It’s about the equivalent of drinking one of the 22oz bottles at 9%, which usually does a pretty good job for me.

I had a 120 Minute about a month ago and I honestly didn’t like it too much. My impressions are the same as yours. It’s pretty sweet and boozy, the former doesn’t really go with IPAs and the latter I dislike in any beer.

I wouldn’t say ‘no’ to one, but I don’t think I’m ever going to buy any for myself.

That looks really nice. I love Maine beer. Have you had Sip of Sunshine over in VT? I can’t find it’s equal anywhere but this one sounds similar, maybe less juicy.

I have not, Vermont seems to like to keep their beers in Vermont for whatever reason.

Frye’s Leap is not juicy at all. To me it is the epitome of the basic American IPA. It’s honestly kinda basic. It’s still a plenty decent drink though, and I certainly would not say no if I was offered some.

But NEIPAs are starting to catch on more in actual New England. Many of the smaller breweries already have their hazy, juicy IPAs, but now even Shipyard has their Finder NEIPA and Sam Adams of all companies has one coming out soon(ish). The latter I’ve sampled and it’s pretty decent (although the also upcoming Sam '76 is better IMO).

Water as that is all I can afford right now. : P

It might be kinda late to start this one, but I keep forgetting to drink it.

I don’t taste the bourbon flavor as much as Dragon’s Milk, but it is there. It’s a little sweet, but not too much.

This is decent, but I prefer normal Old Rasputin.

IMG_0276