Home / PC Gaming / Hardware / Store / Discord

Headphones and amp nightmare

Hi,

I need some help…

I bought a set of DT990s (250ohm version) from Amazon UK but I’m having trouble driving them.

I bought a “SMSL sApII TPA6120A2” again from Amazon UK, but the headphones only got to a volume which I found comfortable for quiet listening, if I maxed the volume it would distort/clip and bass/beats would start to crackle a little, but NOTE. The volume didn’t get louder. Like maxing the signal in line input kinda effect.

So, I sent that back (well waiting for it to be picked up by Amazon).

Same day I ordered the “Little Dot +1” amp, again same thing. Louder but still about as loud as listening to the hi-fi in another room. It does go louder but my tv goes louder than this. I checked the jumpers and it’s in the high impedance setting.

So… Now I am just… WTF…

My setup is… PC to Tascam US-322 audio interface (but also mobo sound is available).

• I tried plugging motherboards realtec 2.5mm to each amp input (RCA), same result.
  • I tried plugging the tascam balanced and un-balanced outputs to each amp input (RCA), same result.
  • I tried plugging in the amp via 2.5mm headphones out from mobo and tascam, same result, just easier to distort signal trying to find right volume
  • I tried plugging in the DT990s to the motherboard headphones, same result just a bit quieter (no distortion however)
  • I tried plugging in the DT990s to the Tascam headphones, same result just a bit quieter (no distortion however)

Does anyone know what I’m doing wrong?

Does anyone know a product (amp) for £110 or less on Amazon UK (link?) that can drive the DT990s or HD650s to it’s full potential?

Any help is much appreciated…

Thanks