Home / PC Gaming / Hardware / Store / Discord

Gaming Rig $3000 Budget Dream Rig

I have $3000 for a gaming rig. I have no idea, what I need. I want to use it for gaming and Twich streaming.
This is a case I like. Thermaltake Core P3 TG Black ATX Open Frame

The rest of the build I am clueless. That is why I am here.
Oh, and it will be a windows 10 rig, I already have 2 laptops with linux on them.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XNYQdX
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XNYQdX/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor ($319.79 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS GAMING 5 WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Newegg Business)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($320.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($197.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($749.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($749.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Thermaltake Core P3 TG Black ATX Open Frame Panoramic Viewing Tt LCS Certified Gaming Computer Case CA-1G4-00M1WN-06 ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2955.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-07 19:45 EDT-0400

Mostly cool with sonny.a1’s build, would say that you should probably look into higher clocked ram, Ryzen is more dependent on it’s RAM speed due to it’s architecture.

Additionally, if you plan on storing any of your game footage you might want to up the HDD, 2TB fills up pretty quick with video.

Something you could cut down on a bit is the PSU, that system would probably never draw more than 750W OC’d, so something in the 800W range is probably fine.

PSU’s are most efficient when in the 80% load range, afaik.

Absolutely, but in common use (even gaming and streaming) he isn’t going to be red-lining all his components, they could gobble upwards of 750W, but would mostly be hovering in the 600W range during use. If he were mining with his GPUs and CPU all the time, then yeah, a bump to 1000W would probably have him see some long terms savings, but for gaming and other common uses, I think 800W would be preferable.

I have no plans to mine,

The SLI is kinda overkill. It is debatable that current games can fully take advantage of SLI nowadays.

Yep, but how else are you gonna spend $3000? RGB?

Monitor…:slight_smile: I really wanted to say, Bitches and Beer.:slight_smile:

You should really have mentioned you needed more than just the tower in your OP.

If you need a monitor (and possibly peripherals), then add an edit to the OP and things could be changed around a bit.

The monitor is NOT included included in the price,. $3,000 for for strictly for the desktop, I was joking in the last post.

OK, well, if you don’t think you want 2 GTX 1080 tis… Then just save yourself $800 and go with a $2200 build :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, and RGB everything. RAM, cooler, fans, strips. Everything, because why not.

Well, with that budget you might want to go all out on some water cooling. I was really impressed with EK this year: https://www.ekwb.com

As for the rest of the system, it’s a toss up betweem the 8700k and the 2700x. I like AMD more as a company but the 8700k will be faster by 2% in 76% of the games, lol. Also, if you are using premiere, the 8700k’s hardware support (rendering using the GPU as extra horsepower) really speeds things up. Anyway, let’s go AMD and you can pick Intel if you want. I think @sonny.a1 was putting together a really nice rig… so I will do my own version of that.

I’d install Windows on one M.2 and Linux on the other. Install one at a time (video from me coming after Computex on this). As for SLI… I don’t think you need it.

Now, the monitor… How large do you want? Do you like ultra-wide? Do you prefer color or gaming performance?

I gotta run to Computex now.