Home / PC Gaming / Hardware / Store / Discord

Dell XPS 13(2016) Ubuntu edition vs Windows 10 edition

Currently looking for a laptop/notebook to develop on, using Fedora Desktop.

After some research I have found that the new XPS 13(2016) edition seems to be great, in terms of hardware, design and Linux support.
However, when I compare the Developer edition (€1449, Quad HD+ 3200 x 1800) to the Windows edition(€1329, Full HD AG 1920 x 1080), with the following specs:

• i7
  • 8 gigs of ram
  • 256 gigs of storage

There seems to be a price difference of €120, which only comes from a higher resolution in the Developer edition.

What do you people recommend me to do?

Should I order the Windows edition and defenestrate and install Fedora Desktop on it, or should I order the Developer edition and install Fedora Desktop on it?

I have read there are some differences in the network interfaces, Broadcom or Intel, which one does the Developer edition use?

Hey man, I have the Windows edition XPS 13-- have had it for roughly 6 months now?
I went with the 1080p screen and honestly I’m glad I did. You get better battery life, and for my personal needs and at that screen size, 1080p is plenty.

I dual boot Arch w/ Windows 10 on it (need Windows for work, we’re a mostly .NET shop), and pretty much everything is properly supported out of the box.

When I bought it a while ago, the kernel in non-cutting edge distros did not support the Broadcom chip (the Intel is fine, if I recall correctly), I’m not sure if distros like debian cought up and now have the version of the kernel that supports it. The firmware for it is included as of kernel 4.1.3, double check whatever distro you want to run.

Finally, to quote the Arch wiki:

Some higher-end models do not use the Dell-branded Broadcom adapter but instead use an Intel Wireless 7265, which is supported by the mainline kernel. This card is widely available as an aftermarket purchase for those wishing to replace the Broadcom adapter in their laptop. Compared to the Broadcom card, the Intel card has a 2-3 times wider reception range and a much higher throughput, making it an worthwhile upgrade should you decide to do so.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_XPS_13_(2015)#WiFi

Pick whatever version you want man. The Windows edition will work fine for what you need IMO, just replace windows with your linux distro of choice.

Its a great laptop-- the screen real-estate (with the “infinity-edge” bezel) is really nice. I don’t think you can go wrong with either version.
Just decide whether the Broadcom chip is enough of a deterrent for you…and whether you want the higher resolution.

Are you able to open this laptop and swap ssd or ram or anything? Im looking for a small laptop to run ubuntu and kali but with the ability to open and swap ram/ssd as well.

Its hard to tell nowadays how hard they are to tinker with.

SSD is easily replaceable, RAM is soldered on.

Good to know thanks