Home / PC Gaming / Hardware / Store / Discord

CV cleanup/review/tips to improve

Nows the time for me to start working. The cv/resume is looking like a background check, the grammar is rough and the experience is… typical. Garrulous is some sections; if not all parts.

While I make revisions to the document can I be given pointers by anyone willing to endorse a strangers words with critique? e.g

• Shorten the document. Why? The world moves at such an extraordinary pace these days that everything has to be extremely rudimentary.

• Make it easier to digest. Why? To give people a good idea of what I can do.

• Make the experience more relevant. How? Instead of writing a paragraph under each segment, write a few bullet points; one with tasks and another with achievements while I was there.

@Logan, thanks. *Opening the snippets in another tab helps…

Here’s what I’ve gathered from people in the industry and my university’s employment office:

• Fit it to a single page.

• First thing you want to list is three qualities/experiences that summarize that you fit the job you’re applying for. Make them bullet points, and each sentence should only be a single line long. Think of it as a mini-cover letter.

• Move your education up and before your work experiences - if you’re just out of school, that is probably something they’re going to want to look at first and consider as your most valid experience to date. If you’ve been in the industry for 10+ years, it’d make sense to put it down further but… Not where you’re at in life. It might also help with the fact that you’ve had some jobs less than a year? That is kind of a red flag for some companies.

• No one really cares about your highschool classes - I would just erase all that information. Just time, location and where. Include your GPA if it was anything worth mentioning.

• Unless you’re applying at a small company, like <10 employees, I would do away with the paragraph job descriptions and make it all bullet points of your accomplishments and responsibilities. Again, nothing more then a single line for each. Companies are going to receive many applications - if it’s not easy to read, they’ll just look the other way.

• Do away with interests, unless it pertains to the industry you’re applying to.

This is all just from my perspective, there is no “perfect resume” - and you’ll probably hear a million different ways on how you can fix it. (Except bringing it to a single page)

I’ll have to look at it more after class today to give better help, but just a couple notes:

• Short and sweet > long and detailed. If the person hiring has a stack of resumes to look through they will straight-up gloss over anything too wordy.
  • Continuing with that, typically the most recent two or three jobs are the perfect amount of information.
  • Don’t bother with course grades. Your GPA (or whatever the British equivalent is) is better, and only if it’s good.
  • For a resume, typical length should be no more than one side of one standard sheet of paper.

If you want extra supporting information keep it on a separate sheet and offer that sheet in interviews.

And as Logan said in the recent video, don’t be afraid to keep multiple resumes. I personally have three slightly different iterations of one resume with slightly different focuses. If you’re going for a “young(er)” company don’t be afraid of a little color either. A nice little pop of color goes a long ways in getting your resume noticed. A more traditional company and you’ll want a more tradition resume.

I was advised by a few to keep it short and simple. dont go over in the details. never mention things like I, me, then I, etc. juut put it to the point like talking third party. remember, they are reading about you not them. i.e. instead of I applied blah blah - just simple - applied blah blah, you get it.

also just try and keep to one page. have a little paragraph stating your obivious life points. you might want to re-word it to make it feel like it is pointing to the job you want rather than just any.

hope that helps.