Home / PC Gaming / Hardware / Store / Discord

Corsair gaming void surround 3.5mm OR Audio-Technica ATH-M40X

Hi I like the Gaming VOID Surround Red, Hybrid 3.5mm Stereo Gaming Headset with Dolby 7.1 USB Adapter as from overcloker3d left an epic review on these on YouTube so this why I have deiced to ask on here also. I know Audio-Technica ATH-M40X was recommended to me but the price of £54.99 the Gaming VOID Surround Red are to good to pass up. So what should I DO? Also the usb dogo if it breaks were do i get a replacement one?

Hi well try the Audio-Technica ATH-M40X.

Hey Uma - There’s a lot of differences between those two headsets. Integrated mic vs. non, for instance. There’s also the mystery of if the Dolby 7.1 dongle is doing anything (I’ve never used it so I don’t know). Replacing it appears to be impossible, probably have to go through Corsair (and if they stop making it - then you’re just going to be using a 3.5mm). I’m typically skeptical of “7.1 surround sound” on a pair of headphones (since they don’t have 7.1 speakers) - But that said Dolby is a good brand so if I were ever going to roll the dice on such a feature I’d use them.

Based on reviews the Void seems to have good reviews, only recurring con I saw was the headset falls off your head if you look down. Weird.

On the flip side the M40 is basically a traditional “good” pair of headphones. More expensive, but as they say, you get what you pay for. I’d also never wear the VOIDs in public (because they are very over the top) whereas the M40s are at least fairly nice looking. If you never plan on having them leave your house that is a moot point.

Anyway, when it comes to which SOUNDS better I have no clue since I don’t own a pair of voids and “sounds better” is subjective anyway.

I’m generally a fan of finding a way to test headphones side by side and return the one you think is worse (or best yet, find a way to test them without buying them at all!)

I had a 7.1 gaming headset for 3 years, a Corsair 1500 v2, and recently switched to a AT-2020USB+ and a ATH-M50x… I will never go back. Now I never really got the “surround” on the gaming headset to work, but still, if you have the cash, my setup will blow everything else away. Not only for the clarity, but the realtime mic playback, so you don’t feel deaf, which was a bit of thing for me.