Home / PC Gaming / Hardware / Store / Discord

Building new PC. How does this look?

Hello everyone, I am building a new PC minus a GPU and PSU since I will reuse those.

Here is what I am looking at,

Corsair Carbide 330R Blackout Edition Case
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD
ASUS TUF B450-Plus Gaming Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2666 MHz RAM
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

I will be reusing my Sapphire R9 280x GPU as well as my Thermaltake Smart M750W PSU.
I will splurge on a new GPU when I get my taxes back. Right now I play games on a 1080p monitor but when I upgrade to a 1440p monitor will the Ryzen 5 1600 be good enough?

First, to answer your question, the CPU doesn’t matter when it comes to resolution, that is strictly GPU. Given theoretical unlimited GPU power, a Ryzen 5 1600 will get the same FPS with 1080p, 4k, 8k, doesn’t matter.

Should include prices, not much to say outside of price/performance here.

Just things that pop out to me:

• If you can catch it, you can sometimes finds Ryzen 7 1700 on sale for like $20-$40 more than the 1600.
  • Do you really need 1TB of SSD storage? Maybe 256GB or 512GB, and pair it with a 2TB mech drive or something.
  • Ryzen likes fast memory, I’d generally go 3000MHz minimum.
  • Buying an OS… Hopefully not at full price.
  • Your case is utterly lacking RGB, you’ll need to fix this or be forever mocked by friends and family.

I picked out a 1 TB SSD simply because I do not want a mechanical drive. I’m buying an OEM copy of Windows 10 and I went with 2666 MHz RAM because that is the highest speed most motherboards accept without an overclock. I never OC anything because well I never have really.

The question you should be asking is whether the 1600 will be a limiting factor when paired with X gpu

I understand now. Thank you sir. Also, I went with 3200 MHz RAM. Did some research and the Ryzen systems love fast memory just as CloudScorpion said. Just going to have to figure out how to get the RAM to run at 3200 MHz in the UEFI.

In most cases, its as simple as going into the BIOS and selecting the XMP profile. Should just work right out the gate.

Ok so I have my motherboard, CPU, and RAM however I can’t get the RAM to run higher than 2133 MHz which is the default setting. I have updated to the latest BIOS as well. The system tries to reset after I save the settings and I get a message that the BIOS has booted into safe mode because of an instability. ???

Are you setting the frequency manually or are you using the XMP profile?

The frequency isn’t the only thing that changes when using an XMP profile, the RAM’s timings also change. If you change the frequency manually it will almost always become unstable if you don’t tweak the timings.

I’ve looked up your manual but it unfortunately only has one page on with RAM values in it so I’m not sure where you need to go in the memory. It has been years since I’ve come across a mobo that didn’t support XMP profiles so I’d be really surprised if this one didn’t.

If worse comes to worse, you can read the XMP profile off the manufacturer’s website and enter them in manually and you should be good to go.

There is also a very slight risk that you got bum memory or its for w/e reason incompatible with your board/cpu. I’d say you’ve got a 90% change that you can get this working at advertised speeds but just in case you can’t you might have to swap them for a different set.

When you say read the XMP profile off of the manufacturer’s website I don’t know if you are talking about ASUS or Corsair. Either way I couldn’t find any XMP profile :confused:

The RAM timings will be found on the memory manufacturer’s site, you should potentially even find them on the box the ram came in. You can also install CPU-Z and on the SPD tab you’ll find the built in settings for your RAM. It should list an entry as “XMP-3200” or something like that, then list the frequency, cas latency, voltage, etc.

See if you can find an online guide (text or video) for your motherboard, its been so long since I’ve seen a board that didn’t outright support XMP that I’d be really surprised if it didn’t work.

If you do set the frequency, timings and voltage for the RAM manually and it still doesn’t work, try the same settings but at 3000MHz speed, see if that is stable. It possible your RAM or board is just unstable natively.

Look for a D.O.C.P. option in your BIOS, this is where you set your XMP profile.

That’s what I did and it doesn’t work. It tries to post a couple of times then reverts back to the previous settings with the instability message. I will be able to tinker with it more when my case arrives tuesday. I had the motherboard sitting on it’s packaging just to make sure it would post but have taken everything off my desk as I do not want anything to get damaged.

Dude, I just upgraded to ryzen, I have 10 tb of hd space and my steam folder is on a 3 tb hd, It is almost full…

First, upgrade your BIOS to the latest version if it’s not on it already and set your settings to default then try again.

If it’s still not working you may have to manually set your timings and/or DRAM voltage. What timings does it show in the BIOS for your XMP profile? You should see something like 15-17-17-17-35