Home / PC Gaming / Hardware / Store / Discord

Building my first PC

Hey everyone,
I’m hoping to throw my console off of the roof and build my first pc.
Any suggestions based on this build would be awesome!
I’m not really in a rush and will wait to see ryzen price point
I’m trying not to go over $1400
Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mqshBP
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mqshBP/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.88 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.88 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($152.89 @ OutletPC)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($91.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($136.94 @ Adorama)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.33 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($394.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($82.03 @ Amazon)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.80 @ OutletPC)

Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($17.49 @ Newegg)
Total: $1324.21

Do you already have a monitor? Other than waiting for Ryzen, that’s a pretty solid build. If anything, maybe change the PSU to something like https://pcpartpicker.com/product/g63RsY/evga-power-supply-120g10650xr for a fully modular PSU, and save a couple extra dollars at that; but if you want something now, that’s going to kick your console in the teeth. Supposedly Ryzen is launching early March?

Hey thanks so much for the response,
Yea I’m going to try to post on here after the Ryzen release and re-evaluate my options. I’m thinking I might build around the low or mid-range ryzen cpu depending on price
The evga PSU seems like a no-brainer tho, thanks for the tip!
For a monitor I was thinking:
BenQ Zowie xl2411 ($286 @ Amazon.com)
Or
Asus VG248QE ($280 @ Amazon.com)
So including the monitor, I guess my budget is about $1600

you could go through the hell i have since xmas and wait to see whats up with vega and the likes

I’m gonna wait it out.Tho I’m real tired of my xbox dropping to 17 fps playing overwatch…so excited for my first build

make sre you prep an area worst having 10 boxes and nowhere to put them

Looks good. My OCD tells me to get black ram to keep the colors the same though.

sounds good, thanks guys. Do I need anything for the assembly besides a screwdriver? Thermal paste? Is an anti-static pad necessary? Does the case come with straps or ties for cable mgmt?

All you need is a philips screwdriver, cutter pliers, some zip ties and mayyybe thermal paste, but there’s already some with the aftermarket coolers.

Depending on the cooler, there’s thermal paste already applied, or a tube provided. Having some extra on hand is never a bad idea, though

I’ve never used an anti-static mat, or an anti-static wrist strap when building my PC’s, and I’ve built somewhere between five and ten PC’s over the years. That being said, I also haven’t rolled around or gone sliding around the house in my socks, nor have I unnecessarily touched the components or PCB’s.