Home / PC Gaming / Hardware / Store / Discord

Building a new system!

Hi there!

I’m thinking on building a new machine and I’m gonna build it and try to get the best bang for my buck, I live in Portugal so I have the Portugal and some Spanish stores. I have put the money in average that I can buy the components, just wanted to know if there is something off or it would be better another stuff! Let’s go:

My monitor is and AOC G2460VQ6 that I bought for 140€

CPU i5-8400 178 €
MOBO MSI B360M Pro-vdh 67 €
RAM G.Skill 8GB Aegis DDR4 2666MHz CL19 86 €
GPU Sapphire Radeon RX570 Pulse 4GB 250 €
PSU Seasonic M 12II 520W 60 €
HDD Seagate 1TB BarraCuda 42 €
SDD Kingston 240GB A400 48 €
Case Fractal Design Focus G 50 €
Total 781 €

Ok, that’s is what I came on with, what are your thoughts? Thanks!

What is the system to be used for? Gaming?

For the most part its fine, it’ll serve you well.

Some nitpicks:
You’re not gonna get much or any OC out of an 8400, for the most part you’ll be GPU bottlenecked in most games and it’s chewing up a decent part of your budget. You could drop to a lower grade CPU (i3 or preferably Ryzen 3 since AM4 looks like it’ll be around for a while) and drop a bit more into your GPU, possibly getting a 580 or 1070.

Might want to spend the extra $10 or so on a bigger mechanical drive given that modern games are starting to get pretty big, you might be surprised how fast a 1TB can fill up now.

Part of me wants to complain about 8GB of RAM… but for gaming it won’t really make a difference and RAM is still stupid expensive.

But yeah, looks solid for the most part.

Yes, gaming, developing, photo editing, perhaps some video editing also…

Yes it is, absurdly expensive

bottlenecked with an RX570? Do you think so?

If you’re not getting a K SKU, you might as well get Ryzen. You’re throwing away the intel performance advantage. Then you save a little for a better GPU.

If you’re serious about the photo and video editing (as in, putting many hours a week into it) you’ll really need to bump up your memory to 16GB, 8 doesn’t really cut it anymore. Editing is where you’re going to see the most noticeable benefit of your CPU here (good clock and 6 cores) but you’ll be gimped by your RAM. I’d also double down on that HDD as well, since raw video and audio consumes disk space like nothing else.

On the other hand, if you are more likely to only spend a few hours on editing per month… then the extra few seconds of difference between your current CPU and a cheaper 4 core isn’t worth the investment.

Yep, the difference in gaming performance between a 8400 and a Ryzen 3 1200 (for example) on even a GTX 1080 is only a few frames at 1080p, where the difference between the 1070 and 1080 is bigger than that of the CPU (more so between the 1060 and 1070).

https://www.techspot.com/review/1463-ryzen-3-gaming/

This link illustrates, though indirectly, the kind of differences you’d expect to see. I couldn’t find an equivalent one with the 8400 vs multiple graphics cards. This difference is magnified substantially if you end up getting a higher res monitor down the line.

This will depend on the games you intend to play, GTA 5 is very CPU intensive compared to most games, so that is one game that might be able to better leverage the 8400 over a better GPU.