Home / PC Gaming / Hardware / Store / Discord

Budget Build

So long story short I’ve had a long 3 years and have been out of the PC building scene because of it. So I am looking into getting a decent pc again.

1920×1080 minimum
Option to upgrade in a few paychecks.
Monitor included in price
Around $475 shipped.
I’ve been playing around on pc part picker and I just cant seem to get back into the groove. I don’t expect high on 1080p, but at least medium would be nice.

I appreciate any help, also I’ve been eyeing up the msi rx 550 2gb - so based around that card or similar performance (if not higher) is prefferable.

The market is a mess right now but the basic rules still apply:

Devote a great deal of your budget to a good GPU, decent CPU, and quality PSU. The rest can be cheap.

I generally recommend people take a moment or two to browse eBay for a CPU+mobo combo from yesteryear; generally Intel 4th gen stuff is accessible and budget friendly. If you’re entirely against buying used components than AMD’s Ryzen 3 parts are a godsend as they dip to around $100 for a quad-core (no SMT) and $50 for the barest of barebone A320 motherboard. The upgrade path for AMD’s AM4 platform is great as AMD have already stated it will remain in use for awhile, possibly past 7nm Zen2.

So here’s a list of all new parts I’ve put together that nearly meets your budget. It’s not fancy but it’s going to work for your purposes today, and has drop in upgrades for tomorrow: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RDWsHN

Now here’s what you can get on the used market:

Intel Core i5-4570 - $109

HP Q87 mATX Motherboard - $25

8GB Hynix DDR3-1333 - $40

GeForce GTX 580 - $60

So in a more comprehensive price list it’s going to look a little like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TQdQ3F
(Obviously PCPartPicker doesn’t have some of these items, so substitutes are used with the proper price attributed.)

Don’t take either of these as recommendations. The only thing I recommend at this point in time is to increase your budget beyond $500 before looking at building a new system, and keep your eyes on eBay for last-gen GPUs as anything modern is being absorbed into mining rigs. GTX 670s are a decent deal around $100, and the GTX 580 is a fantastic deal under $60. Those are still fully capable of 1080p gaming even today.