Best lens for ‘cinematic’ videography

Hi I am looking to try and be more skilful with my videography (being mainly a photographer)

I have a Mavic PRO 2 which I have become fairly adept at flying and filming with and I understand the basic principles of Cinematic style shooting however I want to use my main camera more for BROL style video up my local woodlands and other general shots

I wanted some advice on which lens would give me the best results, is a particular focal length more suited to cinematic style footage, obviously depth of field comes into it but wanted others thoughts…

My lenses I have at my disposal… (not looking to buy any others)

Camera Body Sony A7RIII

Zeiss 18mm f2.8

Zeiss 25mm f2.0

Voigtlander 40mm 1.2 (MF)

Sony G Master 85mm 1.4

Sony G Master 24-70 2.8

Sony G Master 70-200 F2.8

Sony G 90mm Macro 2.8

A main reason to know which lens I should primarily as I would need a variable ND filter soon too in order to achieve the 180 degree rule on shutter speeds/

Well, this all depends on what you are doing. The general purpose Sony 24-70 2.8 is a really handy lens, but it’s not nearly as pretty as the primes, imo. If you are shooting mostly vistas or wide scenes that need a higher F-Stop, then the Song is fine… if you want closer shots or some dreamer shots I really prefer the Voigtlander 40 1.2. I LOVE their glass… it’s almost as dreamy looking as the leica glass. If you want closer shots the 85 1.4 is a good one to contrast some wide shots with the Mavic.

For my style, I’d get the Voigtlander 40 1.2. I think the 18 and 25 are a bit wide on that full frame for my style, but it’s all about how you shoot. So, do you do more close shots or wide scene shots?

Hi Logan,

Thank you very much for your response, this has been very helpful, yeah I think you are right regarding using the 85mm for contrasting shots between the magic when I am hiking,I agree, the voigtlander lenses are beautiful, truly lenses to last ones lifetime! And very characterful.

Guess I will get some V.NDs for these two lenses as I only have LEE ones atm.