Home / PC Gaming / Hardware / Store / Discord

Best headphones under 150?

Hey guys,

I’ve been looking for a while for a new pair of headphones and I can’t seem to figure out what is the best for my money. Especially with the old forum down, (RIP) I would just love some suggestions!

Thanks,
Patrick

I am by no means an audio gearhead, so take my opinion with a grain of salt… But I think one of the best headphones for the money is some Sony monitors.

In my opinion, solely based on headphones I have used.

Best bang for buck ear buds.

Best bang for buck headphones.

@Logan is an authority on this subject.

Hey @Patrick - Can you be a bit more specific on your needs? Primary use is gaming? Music? Do you want open back or closed back? Do you care if they are bulky, or will you be wearing them out and about?

I assume you do not have a DAC or Amp that you’ll be pairing it with?

150 what? CAD? USD? GBP? NZD? AUD? Chickens? Goats? Cows? Diamonds? Gold bars? Shiny pebbles? Bottle caps? Sexual favors? Chocolate coins? Slaves? RX480s? Bitcoins?

KRK6400s are pretty rad and they’re <£100 over in the UK.

I would suggest these, I have them myself:

Plus with the extra money you save you can get a good amp

I’ve been using these for the past 2 months. Great rebate on the base MSRP on newegg…

Can get a used pair of HyperX Cloud 2 or Sennheiser HD 598. I have both. If you get them used; usually you’ll have extra funds to get a DAC. Which I would also recommend to really juice up those puppies.

I’ll throw in the Sennheiser HD558. Almost exactly the same as the 598’s, but considerably cheaper. Super comfy, very open so no sweating.

Well the main use use for headphones would be for gaming, but I also am into some music. I would prefer something not to flashy so I could use them to travel. I’m not to familiar about all the specs when it comes to audio. So literaly any suggestion is great.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Helps me out a lot

I wouldn’t get the Phillips I linked then, they’re open backs thus they leak a lot…if you travel a lot by public transport it might not be the best choice :slight_smile:

Audio Technica ATH-AD900X’s for sure.

I’d throw in the VMODA Crossfade or M100. Closed for minimal sound leakage, easy to drive, sound decent (M100 >>> Crossfade), good warranty, and comfortable. If you’re good at hunting deals you can get the M100s right around $150 new from an authorized dealer, or sometimes the Crossfades around $100 to $120.

are those actually comfortable? When i saw those i was turned off by those headpads. They look really weird.

I’ve worked with audio engineers, dj’s and professional musicians/ voice over actors (working at a radio station you get to learn a LOT about these things) We always used the Sony MDRV6’s. It’s got the best “flat” sound (notice they call them “monitors” and not headphones?) so if you want to get the sound as the Audio Engineer’s designed it, and without any extra EQ, I’d go this route. Just a side note though, in my experience the ear pad’s get a bit crusty with time, so get spares. Also, the ear pad’s can make your ears sweat, so take frequent breaks. No one likes sweaty ears. :slight_smile:

They were not good for me. I took the headpads off.

I have a small head, So it works for me

I can personally recommend the Phillips SHP9500’s use them for everything, nice flat EQ and great quality. Really underrated and can find them for around $60 most places

The Beyerdynamic DT 990 is amazing for under $150:

The black ones are a little nicer looking: http://amzn.to/2g4k1qa

Next, for studio work or just a more neutral tone get the Sony 7506, also they fold down nicely.