Originally published at: https://crit.tv/amd-r7-1700x-4-0-ghz-gaminggame-dev-rig-build/
We have been playing with these AMD parts a lot, and we have had amazing luck in the overclocking department. Our 1800X is not stable at 4.2 and this one is running nicely at 4.0 at only 1.33V. That’s good for all day computing.
Also, these CPUs are an unreal value for unreal engine (or unity, cryengine, etc.) development because they are pretty good at gaming and awesome at productivity. At this price, it’s a no-brainer for game development.
Here are the specs:
Specs and prices:
- AMD Ryzen R7 1700X: http://amzn.to/2n8KUwj
- G.Skill Trident DDR4 16GB (upgrade to 32 for game dev): http://amzn.to/2mRsejP or 32: http://amzn.to/2noEGUO
- ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero X370 Motherboard: http://amzn.to/2mbT17c
- Galax GTX 1070 EXOC GPU: Look here: http://galaxstore.net/EXOC-SNPR-Series_c_33.html or for Amazon: Click to see black or white version
- Bitfenix Shogun Case: http://amzn.to/2noi5rw
- Corsair HX 1000 PSU (overkill - can use 650-750W): http://amzn.to/2mKKdYN
- SSD used (OCZ Vector 240 GB): http://amzn.to/2mRxdBm