Home / PC Gaming / Hardware / Store / Discord

144Hz 1ms Gaming Displays

These displays have been coming along nicely.

I initially purchased one of the Asus-branded models and noticed a lot of problems from the beginning. It was inconsistent with the advertised refresh rate. Some games would not see the full 144 hz capability. It didn’t support anything over 60hz on the Linux driver (not even 120 hz) with any type of cable.

After only 10 months, it failed and started to flicker. It also produced 2 permanent lines across the entire bottom of the screen. I assume it was a 72 hz panel being run at double refresh rate by offloading to either the Intel or Nvidia GPU…? I have no idea. I just remember seeing the same problems with previous hardware/software solutions which were meant to utilize multiple GPU brands. Needless to say, I sent it in for RMA repair and replaced it with a higher quality piece of hardware from ViewSonic.

The new ViewSonic display supports FreeSync. I haven’t tested it on Linux yet, but I shall as soon as I am done rebuilding the Linux box.

So far on Windows 10 with the exact same hardware as before, I am seeing a cap of 120 hz in Fallout 4 as opposed to 72 hz on the previous display. Doom runs better than ever. I don’t see the frame dips I did before. I don’t see any screen tearing while streaming. Everything feels as it should. I can’t remember enjoying FPS this much since high refresh CRT days.

The colors are a lot more vibrant than the previous panel as well which is a nice bonus but not necessary for me. I am personally going to hold off from the 240 hz panels until 1440p and 4k are the norm. I am more of a fan of performance and functionality. I game for hand-eye coordination exercise.

Obligatory TFW Reactions:
feels_good_fallout_vault_boy

feels_good_doom_marine

feels_good_face_touch_black_and_white

In my experience ASUS quality control has been a bit iffy in the past few years. Their PC components are usually fine aside from a couple very specific models, but their peripherals seem to be more of a hit or miss overall nowadays.

Glad you found a good monitor though.

Indeed.

Check this out. Tux hasn’t been left in the dust. Thank you, FreeSync and ViewSonic.

Screenshot from 2017-11-01 21-38-17

1628ee4258d21e620ec5652caa36a4ca--linux-penguin

No more tearing on Linux either.

I just need to run the driver with a “High Performance” bias + Disabled Flipping + Enable FXAA as an Enhancement to the application settings (AA off in Left4Dead 2).

CPU Usage pretty much multiplies evenly with FPS over 60fps, so for example, I would see about 20% overall use at 60fps, but with 180fps to 240fps (average), it’s using 80% steadily. The GTX 770 isn’t that old. I’m glad the build can still compensate and let me game with music on while running 3 displays to monitor temperatures and resources.

I apologize for the image compression (board limit).

I’m in this terrible spot with monitors. I am completely spoiled by this 40" korean 4k monitor. There is nothing better for productivity. It’s also the prefect pixel density imo. However, it’s only 60 hz and when I game I have a really hard time because it’s just too large… so I typically run competitive games windowed at 2560x1440. I don’t see any other ways around it. I guess I just need a good 4k 40" that can do 120hz.

That sounds like a lot of corner snapping. I have personally tried that with multiple desktops in the past. I do agree. Productivity is amazingly high with all of those features. I would use a combination of 1/2 screen windows and 1/4 windows per desktop.

The combination of gaming (center display) and either school work or Twitter (side-mounts) have brought me to my current working setup. Documents, text files, code files and Twitter feeds all favor the portrait display mode. YouTube also runs extremely well on the portraits if you’re into checking the comments or related videos.

I have also noticed better scaling with Wayland on Linux using a single screen system like a laptop. Snapping a video window to the right or left 1/5 of the screen automatically resizes everything perfectly and instantly like a pseudo mobile view of the page without limitation of scalability. It also resizes to snapped windows simultaneously when you adjust the size of one. The forthcoming improvements for mainstream 6-core and 8-core (low budget) builds of the future are looking very exciting.

After upgrading to GTX 960 Amp! 2gb:

I’m seeing 20 to 30% less CPU usage. The 770 required an 8-pin + 6-pin. This 960 only requires a 6-pin.

I also switched the side displays to use DisplayPort adapters. This may be why all problems with minimizing and re-opening windows have been solved.

I’m also on Ubuntu 18.04 Alpha now. The driver is still 384.90. It could be the new card or ports. I don’t know, but everything feels perfectly fluid now. It’s just as good as gaming on Windows (for games that have proper optimization like Left4Dead 2).

TL;DR
Quad Cores are still good for gaming.
770 2gb -> 960 2gb == higher steady FPS, better detail, less power consumption, overall win-win.